Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Good Riddance Delhi Belly/2008!

Not that I'd expect it any different from this bizzare place, tonight's sure to provide another strange holiday on the other side of the planet. Not being one for extravagance, glitz or glam, it has been my suggestion that we head over to the so-called "backpacker hub" of Delhi called the Paharganj neighborhood, in place of the $80USD package "deals" at the swankiest and most posh nightclubs the city has to offer. And we've seen many offers. Besides, I'm not sure anything above the Ruby Tuesday's we saw the other day would accept as shabby a lookin' character as myself sportin' the Carhart's, filthy New Balance and a dirty beard. Paharganj is where the most frugal flock, those shoestring travellers where money is an issue and love it that way. These folks have the real stories to tell and are my kind of people. So to the gritty, rough-around-the-edges, Paharganj we go. It'll probably be an enormous bust...I'll let ya know!

However tonight unfolds, I and many close to me will welcome the prospect of a new year, as 2008 was nothing short of an all out roller coaster ride. Although there were many extremely difficult periods, I hope that we can all say that we came through stronger, with a better grip on ourselves and that we grew! I claimed residence to 2 new cities (Denver and Portland), made a different home at the Belton Chalet in Glacier Park, MT, lived back home for a stint in Michigan and am now in India. I love travelling, but that list is absurd! Security and stability are not yet in my vocabulary. But I'm working on it, all the while never hoping to gain them completely. On my horizon lies the promise of some big moves which I hope to share when they become closer to reality.

On a more uncomfortable level, I've been blessed with what most travellers that spend any time in Delhi experience...Delhi Belly, for the past few days. What this translates to is (at least in my case) sudden and severe knotting of the stomach, a throbbing headache, OCCASIONAL whining and wimpering (which Ryan has grossly exaggerated and made abundantly clear on her blog) in bed, and last but not least, an unfathomable amount of trips to the toilet with complete destruction of the bathroom (for this, Ryan has every right to complain). So this hampered our production for a few days, including one our precious Sundays (free days from the hospital), but nevertheless can keep me down only so long. I was back to my morning run today. And I still stand by my theory...no guts not glory, when it comes to street food. I'll never give it up! My goal of an iron gut by the time I die is underway.

A few other notes...I saw my first monkey today during aforementioned morning job, munching away on some fruit from a plastic bag in the park. This came just before it was chased up a tree by a dog. I'm waiting on a camera that I ordered from ebay-India so that I can spruce up my page with pretty pictures. That should make a blog way more interesting since everyone prefers exotic pictures over bland blabbering. And sadly, it seems that this trip will not be able to last as long as originally hoped due to Continental not allowing my ticket to be extending beyond 6 months of the original start date (Ryan had to buy my ticket round-trip with hers). More on that later when I know for sure.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

tgrenier said...

hey buddy, glad to hear you've made it out there safely. i haven't had a chance to read you blog until now, but i'm liking what i'm reading. it's pretty amazing what you're doing. i kind of find it hard to believe that you don't already have an iron stomach though. after all those years eating EDR food i would think it's pure steel. good luck with your stomach issues and take care.

Graham said...

Yeah right, wouldn't ya think after all those summers with that slop! The tenacity of these germs is just at a whole new level, I guess. You'd understand if you saw the street food that I can't lay off. A tad scary, but too damn good!